Bank First was founded in 1894 with a capitalization of $50,000. At that time, the bank was known as the Bank of Manitowoc and was located at the southwest corner of York and Eighth Streets. In 1927, the bank moved into the Manitowoc Hotel Building. The bank grew steadily throughout the years and had reached $13 million in assets by 1962. In 1974, Bank First moved to its present facility at 402 North 8th Street. Today, Bank First has a total of 12 office locations.
The Francis Creek office was opened in 1972 when the bank acquired the State Bank of Francis Creek. In 1985, a branch was opened in St. Nazianz when the St. Nazianz State Bank merged with Bank First. That same year, the bank topped $100 million in assets. Due to strong demand for Bank First National's services in Two Rivers, a branch office was opened in Two Rivers in the fall of 1989. A Bank First branch in Mishicot was opened in 1991. A second office in Manitowoc was opened on Custer Street in 1992.
In 1994, Bank First brought community banking back to the communities of Kiel, Newton, and Bellevue.
Our tenth office opened July 1999, in New Holstein. The bank grew to twelve offices in December of 1999, when Bank First acquired the Dairy State Bank and its two locations in Plymouth. Bank First opened its second northern market location in Ashwaubenon in March of 2000. On January 1, 2001, Bank First expanded its services to include insurance products by purchasing Vincent Group, Insurance and Financial Solutions, with office locations in Manitowoc and Green Bay.
May 2004 saw a new bank office location open on Expo Drive in Manitowoc, attached to the offices of the Vincent Group. In April of 2006 Bank First acquired George V. Reis Investment Group, Inc., located in Two Rivers.
In April of 2005, Insurance Management joined Vincent Group servicing the Little Chute area. In January of 2008, Insurance Associates of Green Bay, Inc. was acquired by the Bank, adding additional insurance offices in Green Bay and Wausau. In January of 2010, First Manitowoc Bancorp, Inc. completed the merger of its insurance subsidiary, The Vincent Group, Inc., with A. N. Ansay & Associates, Inc. to form Ansay & Associates LLC. The combined agencies constitute a full-service, independent agency with offices in Green Bay, Little Chute, Manitowoc, Mosinee, Port Washington, Wausau and West Bend.
The bank opened a full-service location on Kohler Memorial Drive in Sheboygan in February of 2008, and opened its newest office location in downtown Oshkosh in February of 2011.
In late 2009, the bank reviewed its geographical footprint and discovered overlapping market coverage. Therefore, the decision was made to close the Newton, New Holstein, and downtown Plymouth offices and transition customer accounts to nearby locations. In September of 2011, the Bank consolidated the Expo Drive and Custer Street locations, closing Expo Drive office.
Today, Bank First remains one of the few independent community banks left in the area. The bank has experienced steady growth for the past several years. Assets as of September 30, 2011, exceeded $874 million. Total employment at Bank First is approximately 168 FTE individuals.
As we grow, we continually re-invest in the communities we serve. We are your independent, locally-owned, community bank here to serve all your financial needs.